Cutting out the heel stiffeners…

Image

Cutting out the heel stiffeners...

I also cut out my heel stiffeners (counters) this week, which I have taken home to soak and then skive. The pattern for these was done on the master pattern, and I then traced it, cut it out and then re-traced it onto the leather, which I then cut out. Doing this job I actually had a bit of a revelation.. All this time this year I had been using the knife in a way that was far from easy, trying to basically slice through the leather on a normal angle, bit by bit. For some reason I decided to try it another way this time, holding it on a different angle and holding the excess leather towards me… man was it so much easier.. in fact, I actually quite enjoyed cutting them out!

Advertisements

Cutting out the boot lining..

Image

Cutting out the boot lining..

Now the only pair I will be focusing on is my boots… I started them a little while ago, and got most of the parts, such as the pattern making, which I’m not too keen on out of the way. Now, having made the patterns for the lining, I traced them onto the leather shown in the photo, and cut them out. I will skive them this weekend, ready to use next week..

The finishing touches…

Image

After glueing in the socks, I cleaned off any excess glue as best as I could from all over the shoe, and then sprayed them with waterproof and stain spray. And finally they are done! I’m actually surprisingly happy with how they turned out. They fit really well and are really comfortable to wear. These are definitely my favourite pair so far, and they turned out very closely to how I wanted them to!

Wedge socks..

Image

Wedge socks..

The last thing that I needed to do in order to complete my wedges was create the ‘socks’ , which are basically the pieces of leather that sit inside the shoe to cover any ‘construction signs’ and finish them off. So after making the pattern, the socks were cut out of the same leather as the lining.

Attaching the soles..

Image

Attaching the soles..

Heading down to Heidi’s place last Wednesday I was terribly excited; finally I would finish my platform wedges, the shoes that I had been dreaming about since the beginning of my project.. So when I got there I went about doing a second coat of glue to the sole and underside, and then after heating, lined them up as best as possibly, stuck them together and then put them in the sole press to achieve ‘maximum closeness’, as shown in the photo..